Loraas Environmental Services Ltd. (“Loraas”) has developed safe waste disposal guidelines for our residential and business customers in the North Battleford and Kindersley areas due to the COVID-19 (“coronavirus”) beginning March 23, 2020 until further notice.
Loraas wishes to emphasize that these guidelines are being put in place as a precautionary measure to protect the health and safety of collectors who handle thousands of receptacles a week and physically sort recyclable materials. Proper disposal of potentially contaminated items is also a good safeguard to have in place to protect the general public.
Guidelines for safe waste disposal during global COVID-19 pandemic include:
- If you are sick, please place ANY item that have come into contact with your mouth, nose, eyes, or hands in a bag and into the garbage – even items that you normally place into your Blue Cart or Bin (i.e.
water/beverage bottles, yogurt containers, milk/juice cartons, etc.)
- Bag all garbage securely and place it into your black/waste cart. Do not place garbage loosely in your carts.
- Recyclable items should be placed loosely into your blue/recycling cart; excluding potentially contaminated recyclables mentioned above. Ensure recyclables are cleaned and not food-soiled.
- Ensure accessible cart placement (4ft between carts or obstacles) to avoid manual handling by our collectors.
- Cart lids must be fully closed to prevent windblown items. Items placed outside of the carts will not be collected.
- Used tissues and disposable clean products (i.e. wipes), should be placed into a bag then into your black/garbage cart only.
- Cleaning products and aerosols with warning labels should not be placed into your recycling cart. Please hold onto these items and use a Household Hazard Collection Day program if available in your community.
For excess garbage, recycling, or organic waste, The Loraas Transfer Station in Battleford, SK will remain open to the public. For details and hours visit:
http://loraasenviro.ca/. Loraas’ offices will be closed to the public, but our representatives are still able to assist you. Please call (306) 445-3900 for questions or concerns.